Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Remembering Gene

May 5, 2004. It was a Wednesday five years ago. Brandon was almost 3 months old. Riley almost 3 years. Jacob was in Kindergarten. It was a little after 9 AM when I got a call from Nate telling me his Dad had been taken to the hospital and he was on his way there. He wasn't sure what was wrong.

Nate's Dad had problems with blood clots in the past and we figured maybe it was the same thing this time. I asked Nate if he wanted me to come, but he said he'd call and let me know once he got there. The hospital personnel began doing CPR shortly after Nate arrived. Nate never got a chance to talk to his Dad. He died the morning of May 5 at the age of 55.

The viewing was Sunday, May 9 (Mother's Day) and the funeral followed the next day. So many people came to greet the family and share their love. I felt so blessed to be part of that.

I am blessed with the belief in eternal families. Brandon was suppose to be blessed the first Sunday in May, but we had to postpone it. He was blessed in June and I'm sure my father-in-law was there in spirit.

Gene loved to read the grandchildren stories. He also loved to give them a soft kick and lift them in the air sending them "to the moon". He was a man who knew the gospel well and lived fully what he believed. He was a great example.

No comments: